Re: install recommended by default?

David Wright composed on 2016-11-12 22:09 (UTC-0600):

On Sat 12 Nov 2016 at 20:27:37 (-0500), Felix Miata wrote:

Brian composed on 2016-11-12 15:45 (UTC):

Never really used aptitude but I've just installed it and ran the curses
variety of the program. "options" at the top of the screen shows

Option:  Apt::Install-Recommends
Default: True
Value:   True

I'd like to know how you found the above. Running aptitude 0.6.11 on
vtty3 here as root in 8.6 I'm unable to find anything like that from
its Options menu, or anywhere else.

I type "?" which gives a list of key bindings. About 30 lines down it says
   Control-t:    Activate or deactivate the menu.

I open the menu with F10.

so I "q" back to the View and press "Ctrl-T" which pulls down the leftmost
menu (Actions). Use ← or → to get to the sixth menu which is Options.

Same my way.

Select the first item, Preferences and you get UI Options. Again, about
30 ↓ keystrokes gets to the line with, and when you're on it, the lower
pane displays as above and gives a few lines of explanation. The line is
    [X] Install recommended packages automatically
Where in that sequence does your aptitude behave differently?

There are two panes, upper and lower, each about half a screen. I assumed that the last item showing was the last available option under preferences. Now that I know about the additional options, I see, and it does indeed report that the default is True.

I suppose it must be that my installer cmdline option install-recommends=false must be taken into account, but I'm perplexed that multiple Jessie installations have the same Nov. 2015 timestamp on /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00InstallRecommends while including False instead of the reported default True.

I booted 5 of 6 Jessie installations here in recent minutes. All contain

	APT::Install-Recommends "false";

in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00InstallRecommends. Timestamp on the file on
the currently booted installation is 366 days old, same as on the
previous one or two booted (timestamp not noticed on the first two
or three).

All my Jessie installations were made via HTTP, started from Grub,
including the following on the cmdline:

	...tasks=standard base-installer/install-recommends=false...

What a "default" Debian installation includes or not I may never
have seen, at least not since my first, Etch, as all since, and
maybe Etch too, have been installed in same manner.

I don't understand what you mean by "via HTTP, started from Grub".

A recent installation's boot menu stanza:

title Install Debian via HTTP
kernel (hd0,2)/debian/linux showopts vga=791 --- netcfg/disable_dhcp=true netcfg/get_hostname=myhost tasks=standard base-installer/install-recommends=false splash=0
    initrd (hd0,2)/debian/initrd.gz

All my machines are multiboot. Virtually all my installations begin as minimal, so that I can configure to not install optional packages as a matter of course, keeping space required low, and updates time and bandwidth minimized.

Normally when I want to install any distro, I fetch the installation kernel and initrd from an appropriate location on the Internet, if I haven't done so already and saved on the LAN. Isos represent a lot of downloading of packages that won't be installed here. Release isos don't get updated, so HTTP gets latest available packages instead of installing multiple versions of various packages or leaving a fresh installation in need of update. Similar is commonly the reasoning with pre-release isos.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/