Re: wheezy, cannot change the address of eth1

On Fri 11 Nov 2016 at 13:13:56 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings folks;
>
> I just bought an ethernet switch, but it is a smart switch, so I needed
> to bring up my eth1 interface at an address in the 192.168.0.xx range so
> I can talk to it.  But despite the fact that it is so specified
> in /etc/network/interfaces, no amount of stopping and restarting the
> networking makes it take effect, its stuck at the old 192.168.1.3
> address.
>
> The output on screen for an /etc/init.d/networking restart for eth1 is:
> Configuring interface eth1=eth1 (inet)
> run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
> run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools
> run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant
> ip addr add 192.168.0.25/255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 	 dev eth1
> label eth1
> ip link set dev eth1   up
>  ip route add default via 192.168.0.1  dev eth1
> RTNETLINK answers: File exists
> Failed to bring up eth1.
>
> I cannot change it with ifconfig either. And the manpage for ip may as
> well be in swahili, lots of unexplained terminology.
>
> So, short of rebooting so the changed interfaces might take effect, but
> will they, what is this "File exists" error?.
>
> Does anyone have a clue what may be wrong?
>
> And 5 years after I had a big fight with RTNETLINK, whatever the heck
> that is, it is still keeping the cause of the error secret.
>
> So, net experts, what do I do?

Googling your error message, I think the third link tells you what it means
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/rtnetlink-answers-file-exists-error-when-doing-ifup-on-alias-eth1-1-on-rhel5-710766/
and the second might be a fix.
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/100588/using-ip-addr-instead-of-ifconfig-reports-rtnetlink-answers-file-exists-on-de

Cheers,