wheezy, cannot change the address of eth1

Greetings folks;

I just bought an ethernet switch, but it is a smart switch, so I needed
to bring up my eth1 interface at an address in the 192.168.0.xx range so
I can talk to it.  But despite the fact that it is so specified
in /etc/network/interfaces, no amount of stopping and restarting the
networking makes it take effect, its stuck at the old 192.168.1.3
address.

The output on screen for an /etc/init.d/networking restart for eth1 is:
Configuring interface eth1=eth1 (inet)
run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant
ip addr add 192.168.0.25/255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 	 dev eth1
label eth1
ip link set dev eth1   up
 ip route add default via 192.168.0.1  dev eth1
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Failed to bring up eth1.

I cannot change it with ifconfig either. And the manpage for ip may as
well be in swahili, lots of unexplained terminology.

So, short of rebooting so the changed interfaces might take effect, but
will they, what is this "File exists" error?.

Does anyone have a clue what may be wrong?

And 5 years after I had a big fight with RTNETLINK, whatever the heck
that is, it is still keeping the cause of the error secret.

So, net experts, what do I do?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)