Re: wheezy, cannot change the address of eth1

On Friday 11 November 2016 14:17:07 David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 11 Nov 2016 at 13:13:56 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings folks;
> >
> > I just bought an ethernet switch, but it is a smart switch, so I
> > needed to bring up my eth1 interface at an address in the
> > 192.168.0.xx range so I can talk to it.  But despite the fact that
> > it is so specified in /etc/network/interfaces, no amount of stopping
> > and restarting the networking makes it take effect, its stuck at the
> > old 192.168.1.3 address.
> >
> > The output on screen for an /etc/init.d/networking restart for eth1
> > is: Configuring interface eth1=eth1 (inet)
> > run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools
> > run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant
> > ip addr add 192.168.0.25/255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 	 dev
> > eth1 label eth1
> > ip link set dev eth1   up
> >  ip route add default via 192.168.0.1  dev eth1
> > RTNETLINK answers: File exists
> > Failed to bring up eth1.
> >
> > I cannot change it with ifconfig either. And the manpage for ip may
> > as well be in swahili, lots of unexplained terminology.
> >
> > So, short of rebooting so the changed interfaces might take effect,
> > but will they, what is this "File exists" error?.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue what may be wrong?
> >
> > And 5 years after I had a big fight with RTNETLINK, whatever the
> > heck that is, it is still keeping the cause of the error secret.
> >
> > So, net experts, what do I do?
>
> Googling your error message, I think the third link tells you what it
> means
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/rtnetlink-a
>nswers-file-exists-error-when-doing-ifup-on-alias-eth1-1-on-rhel5-71076
>6/ and the second might be a fix.
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/100588/using-ip-addr-instead-o
>f-ifconfig-reports-rtnetlink-answers-file-exists-on-de
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Yes, and no. What it suggested was bringing up eth0:1, and that worked,
and I even got past the password & logged in.  But the menu's are, shal
we say strange. I expected it to have a facility to update its elderly
firmware, but there's no such thing. I registered it, so I'll taze their
LL Monday and see if I can find somebody that speaks linux.

Many thanks for the pointer, & URL, that part worked.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)