Re: reportbug and GMail SMTP servers

On Mon 07 Nov 2016 at 16:32:24 +0200, Sophoklis Goumas wrote:

> On 7 November 2016 at 15:52, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Did you encode it in Base64, or is what you type it into
> > doing this on your behalf?
> >

> Just typed the password, as always. Meaning unencoded.
> This is another part that maybe I haven't cleared out.
>
> I never had an MTA setup, I always had the postfix packages
> and their documentation for educational purposes, but this
> was never actually setup to send and receive email.
>
> Regardless, reportbug WAS working.
>
> Once more, what I'm trying to figure out is why should reportbug
> be labeled as a less secure app and what needs to be done
> in order to be able to send reports through it without having to
> "lower" down your Google security profile.

I do not know what a Google security profile is and have no intention
of finding out. I do not want one but presumably you do. How do you
know reportbug is being labelled as anything by Google? If your mail
is not being relayed by Google it is between you and them and nothing
to do with reportbug. A command to use for testing has been given.

Anyway, I followed the "Using GMail's SMTP Server" section on the wiki
to the letter and had no problem sending a report to the BTS. It was
done with complete security.

That is the second test of the Google mail system I have done. Your
setup at Google may be different from mine. That is where you want to
look. It is you that have to change; don't expect Google to.

--
Brian.