Re: reportbug and GMail SMTP servers

On 7 November 2016 at 00:51, Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2016 at 03:44:49PM +0000, Brian wrote:
>>
>> I'd agree with that (it can be tested if needs be). In his reportbug
>> preferences file Sophoklis Goumas has
>>
>>  smtphost "smtp.gmail.com:587"
>>  smtpuser "olspookishmagus@gmail.com"
>>  #smtppasswd "my password here"
>>
>> The third line is commented out.
>>
> This. This is the answer. As usual Brian has nailed it. The OP is not
> supplying a password when logging in. Google are not going to be happy
> about that.

Instead of having my password in cleartext in a text file, I've
prefere to have it
commented out, so whenever reportbugs will need it, it will ask me for it.

As I've displayed in my initial post, namely:

Enter SMTP password for olspookishmagus@gmail.com@smtp.gmail.com:587:
SMTP error: authentication failed.  Try again.

Between these lines I input my password and then hit Enter.

Sophoklis