Re: upgraded testing and now gpg is not working

On 11/05/2016 05:50 PM, Frank wrote:
Op 05-11-16 om 21:23 schreef H.S.:
Still, however, decryption my file using gpg2 does not work: it does not
ask for my passphrase on the std in and just times out. gpg1 works
though.

What am I missing?

Package I have on my testing box:
$ COLUMNS=75 dpkg -l gnupg* | grep ^i
ii  gnupg          2.1.15-4     amd64  GNU privacy guard - a free PGP re
ii  gnupg-agent    2.1.15-4     amd64  GNU privacy guard - cryptographic
ii  gnupg-l10n     2.1.15-4     all    GNU privacy guard - localization
ii  gnupg1         1.4.21-1+b1  amd64  GNU privacy guard - a free PGP re
ii  gnupg1-curl    1.4.21-1+b1  amd64  GNU privacy guard - a free PGP re
ii  gnupg2         2.1.15-4     all    GNU privacy guard - a free PGP re

Nothing obviously missing there, as far as I can tell.

The passphrase input is handled by gnupg-agent, so that's what appears
to be failing. It uses a 'pinentry' tool. On my system it usually pops
up a small graphical window, but its dependency list suggests it can
also use something terminal based if that isn't installed. There must be
something wrong with that combination. I *think* it may be related to
the second item mentioned here:

https://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg-devel/Common-Problems.html

Do you have the GPG_TTY variable set up? I have mine in ~/.bashrc like
this:

export GPG_TTY=$(tty)

That was a great hint.
I tried the following.

$ GPG_TTY=$(tty) gpg -d myfile.gpg

and it popped up a graphical window asking for my passphrase. Typed in the phrase, entered and it decripted the file.

So, this is good and/or bad, depending on how one looks at it. What I *would* prefer is that on a tty it not ask me the passphrase via a graphical pop up and just ask me on std in.

What happens is that when I logout from my KDE session, reboot (probably to 'kill' gpg agen) and then login via a *virtual tty* and try to decrpyt the same file using gpg, gpg errors out by complaining that there is no secret key (this is with the GPG_TTY exported as you suggested). Next, when I login to my KDE session, try the same gpg command from a terminal, it pops up the passphrase window, which accepts my passphrase and decrypt the file succesfully.

So, how do I tell gpg to work on std in when on a terminal instead of relying on a graphical session?

Thanks.

ever having been read.