Re: [SOLVED] Re: [jessie] recording line-in using ALSA?

Brian wrote:

> On Sat 29 Oct 2016 at 21:51:48 +0300, Reco wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 19:54:27 +0200
>> deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Ric didn't say he proposes. He said "I think" which is personal
>> > opinion. I think nowdays it is getting a big problem understanding each
>> > other and I think it is sad, because we are misinterpreting what the
>> > other say which is equivalent to not hearing.
>>
>> My apologies to Ric, you and any other maillist participant just in
>> case.
>
> A sentence beginning "I think you should....." is practically equivalent
> to "I propose you should......". So Ric did propose something. Proposing
> or thinking is always a personal opinion.
>
> You shouldn't have backed down.

Come on Brian, we don't need "wars". Exactly the point is the personal
opinion. Ric says "I think it should". Roco takes it as proposal. Perhaps
my English is not that good, but I don't take a personal opinion "I think
it should" as proposal. In his epistemic world this package is better
requireing the other package, but in the real world it just suggest.
So lets agree that "suggests" is the better solution for this and that
reason and leave it there.

>> Still, I've seen where this road can take a perfectly good package.
>>
>> First example being openjdk-7-jre-headless. After a certain DSA update
>> about a year ago it started to depend on libpulse0 (because reasons,
>> apparently), and boom - a *headless* java install bring about one third
>> of X with it. Kind of depends the whole purpose of package from a
>> certain perspective - as package description explicitly refers 'non GUI
>> Java programs'.
>>
>> Second example being libvirt-daemon-system, introduced in jessie, which
>> started to depend on policykit-1, because (see #768376) from
>> the POV of the maintainer of the package - absolutely nobody (bug
>> report states 95% actually) uses libvirt without virt-manager, and
>> virt-manager breaks somehow without PolicyKit.

I completely agree with Reco on all the arguments also from his previous
mail. I'm glad that not all "suggestions" are implemented and made
available to the public.
I also hate it when a simple program pulls in a lot of unrealted and
unwanted software, just because some developer did not define dependencies
in a proper way. However Reco is better off raising this issue with the
maintainers and developers. I have few custom build packages that suite my
personal needs.
Ah and I froze policy kit because later versions were not providing what I
need.
So yes I agree with Reco except for the way he put it forward.
I think Ric should not propose pulse depending on the graphical frontend. We
just have to know that this is available and useful if one has X and some
kind of desktop installed.
I wish that pavucontrol had various implementations aside gtk, but we all
have gtk installed -no? At least because of firefox or some other program.

>> Oh, and don't get me started on the way they package hplip.
>
> Please do. What is wrong with the packaging of hplip?

Yes indeed ... but perhaps in another thread.

regards