[SOLVED] Re: [jessie] recording line-in using ALSA?

deloptes wrote on 10/27/2016 12:14 PM:

> It looks reasonable. What you can do, since you have pulse installed, you
> could run pavucontrol and setup the input devices properly. Perhaps your
> problem is visible there - muted/default etc. I usually start recording and
> run pavucontrol, navigate to "Input Devices" and look at the indicator - it
> should show the level of input, play with those until it works :)

Excellent!

pavucontrol wasn't installed, but I installed it and played with the Input
Devices tab.

And that's when I discovered that I should have been recording from "Aux"
rather than from "Line".

When I configured ALSA to record from Aux on hw:0,0, it worked perfectly.

Thank you so much for suggesting pavucontrol. FWIW, I had been thinking all
along that this problem would be so much easier to solve if only there were a
way to monitor what was happening in real time; as far as I can tell, ALSA
itself doesn't provide any way to do that :-(

Thank you again.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR