Re: [SOLVED] Re: [jessie] recording line-in using ALSA?

	Hi.

On Sat, 29 Oct 2016 19:54:27 +0200
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reco wrote:
>
> > So basically you're proposing to force the user to install GTK3 (with
> > both C and C++ bindinds) just to install pulseaudio.
> >
> > There are reasons that this distribution is called Debian, not
> > You-favorite-enterprisey-tangled-dependency-mess, and one of those
> > reasons is a careful placement of dependencies.
> >
> > Reco
>
> Ric didn't say he proposes. He said "I think" which is personal opinion. I
> think nowdays it is getting a big problem understanding each other and I
> think it is sad, because we are misinterpreting what the other say which is
> equivalent to not hearing.

My apologies to Ric, you and any other maillist participant just in
case.

Still, I've seen where this road can take a perfectly good package.

First example being openjdk-7-jre-headless. After a certain DSA update
about a year ago it started to depend on libpulse0 (because reasons,
apparently), and boom - a *headless* java install bring about one third
of X with it. Kind of depends the whole purpose of package from a
certain perspective - as package description explicitly refers 'non GUI
Java programs'.

Second example being libvirt-daemon-system, introduced in jessie, which
started to depend on policykit-1, because (see #768376) from
the POV of the maintainer of the package - absolutely nobody (bug
report states 95% actually) uses libvirt without virt-manager, and
virt-manager breaks somehow without PolicyKit.

Oh, and don't get me started on the way they package hplip.

So, one must be very careful when wishing for upgrading certain
dependencies.

PS Is it OK to CC you? My e-mail client insists on it for some reason.

Reco