Re: list installed packages present only in stable

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 5:15 AM, Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 23:36:02 -0400
>
> Hmmm...
> Here I get:
> $ apt-show-versions -b | grep "\<python3.4\>"
> python3.4:amd64/jessie
> python3.4-minimal:amd64/jessie
>
> What does apt-cache say about python3.4? Here I get
> $ apt-cache policy python3.4
> python3.4:
>   Installiert:           3.4.2-1
>   Installationskandidat: 3.4.2-1
>   Versionstabelle:
>  *** 3.4.2-1 0
>         500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> Not sure why this happens. Maybe the package cache needs to be updated
> first with apt-cache gencaches ? Or isn't jessie in your sources.list?

Correct. The output of apt-show-versions will depend on what is listed
in /etc/apt/sources.list. I want the output to be independent of that.
>From the man page of apt-cache

       /etc/apt/sources.list
           Locations to fetch packages from. Configuration Item:
Dir::Etc::SourceList.
       /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
           File fragments for locations to fetch packages from.
Configuration Item: Dir::Etc::SourceParts.

A while ago I decided to move from Jessie to Stretch. So I have

 % inxi -r
Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
           deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch main
contrib non-free
           deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates
main contrib non-free
           deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates
main contrib non-free
           deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
           deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main
contrib non-free

 % apt-cache policy python3.4
python3.4:
  Installed: 3.4.2-1
  Candidate: 3.4.2-1
  Version table:
 *** 3.4.2-1 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

But now I find that my system has lots of packages from Jessie which
are no longer present in either Stretch or Sid. I would like get a
list of all such packages and decide if I want to remove them.

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog