Re: list installed packages present only in stable

> How can I list all the packages installed on my system that are
> currently part of the stable distribution but not present in either
> testing or sid?
>
> For example, ibkasten2okteta1controllers1abi1 libkasten2okteta1gui1
> are currently part of stable, but not present in either testing or
> sid. The command should list these packages if they are currently
> installed.
>
> If it matters, here are the repos I am tracking.
>  % inxi -r
> Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
>            deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib
> non-free
>            deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch main
> contrib non-free
>            deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates
> main contrib non-free
>            deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates
> main contrib non-free
>            deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib
> non-free
>            deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main
> contrib non-free
>
> I prefer to use apt-get to aptitude. But if this can only be done in
> aptitude, I do not mind using that.

Oooohhh, shiny new toy that I just found because of you. This came via
"man apt-show-versions":

To upgrade all packages in testing:

           apt-get install `apt-show-versions -u -b | grep testing`

Actually having some cognitive abilities functioning today, I further
stepped out on a limb and just ran:

apt-cache show `apt-show-versions -u -b | grep sid`

It gave me some things back! One more test:

apt-cache show `apt-show-versions -u -b | grep jessie`

Returned this error:

E: No packages found

Woohoo!!! (Because it's giving varying answers based on query changes)

Yes, no, I understand that still might not quite be the answer sought
after in this thread, BUT it *is* pulling based on [release versions].
That means at least some of the developer work is already addressed if
this in fact doesn't quite provide the desired results BUT would work
with some flag tweaking.

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey