Re: comparing password managers in Debian, synchronizing on multiple devices

On Tue 25 Oct 2016 at 08:43:15 (+0200), deloptes wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
>
> > I prefer integration to all applications on the desktop: i.e., the
> > program should simply place the passphrase in the clipboard, allowing me
> > to paste it into whatever form I visit. That covers the browser as well.
>
> I've been using gpg since 2002 and never heard of PassStore or pass or
> whatever. But through all those years I used the kwallet and now tdewallet.
> Exactly because it is integrated into the system/desktop.
>
> The idea to upload encrypted password on some cloud service is scary , but
> perhaps I am a bit old fashioned. Passwords are usually kept in a safe
> place. Especially private keys are not meant to be shared .... so I did not
> understand what are you doing with your private gpg key? Do you have it
> printed on paper?
>
> I think what you are describing is a bit of useless, but a summary of all
> password managers and storage systems is still pretty usefull. With my
> expect from a debian wiki article. You can save the filtering criteria for
> yourself. Let the people decide by providing information on the key
> features of each application.

Eh? Getting information on these packages is all too easy. What's more
difficult is mining people's knowledge of whether these key features
are beneficial, disadvantageous, a security risk, or just neutral,
nice to have.

I knew about pass: it contains the string "password manager" in its
description. Perhaps you missed it because it has no tags in the
Packages file, not one. Anyway, the full desciption reads:
"lightweight directory-based password manager
"Stores, retrieves, generates, and synchronizes passwords securely
 using gpg, pwgen, and git."

I can't see the point in just duplicating that information on a wiki
page. There's a list of possibilities at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications/Security#Password_managers
and you know that their websites will trumpet their key features.

But I can see the added value in running that information past
a set of criteria like "The database must be in a format already known
to be readable by other, mature, well-maintained software" to quote
just one. That sort of knowledge is what gets discussed here, and
a summary in one place would be very useful. It might look like
the sort of grid often seen in Wikipedia (though it might need a
lot of footnotes explaining why it passed/failed to come up to
scratch).

Cheers,
David.