Re: Stretch System Stops Boot Process Immediately After Grub Screen

On 10/23/2016 04:47 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Jape Person composed on 2016-10-23 14:33 (UTC-0400):

Felix Miata wrote:

Does the same thing happen booting the previous kernel
(4.6?)?

Nope. The problem occurred on the first reboot after the
upgrade from 4.7.6-1 to 4.7.8-1. The upgrade process didn't
leave 4.7.6-1 in place so I could fall back.

I don't remember just when I started seeing that upgrade
behavioral change in Debian. I used to always use the new
kernel for a week or so, and then I would have to use apt
to remove the old one if it was no longer needed.

I don't remember having any Stretch installations with fewer
than two installed kernels. The currently booted one,
originally installed 51 weeks ago, has 6 installed. I've yet
to discover any doc suggesting anything about any possibility
of automatic removal of old kernels from Debian Testing
installations.

Could it be that the pae kernel your CF-R3 is running is not
the recommended kernel for that CPU, and that has something
to do with replacement on kernel upgrade instead of simply
adding new?

During new installations of Debian my systems I chose:

linux-image-686-pae for the i386 systems
linux-image-amd64 for the 64 bit systems

Those new installations offer me the latest available kernel
from the Stretch repository for each type of system. At some
time in recent months I installed the linux-image-686-pae on the
trouble machine. Since that time it has tracked the latest
linux-image package just like the two other i386 systems and the
amd64 system.

I have seen all of these systems keep the older kernel when a
"major" kernel version change has occurred in the repository. In
those cases I have kept the older kernel around until I was sure
it was okay. But for small kernel version jumps the next reboot
just shows me the new kernel, the old one having evidently been
replaced.

Maybe the time is now opportune for an arch upgrade. The
supply of devs working 32-bit seems to be shrinking quickly
towards critical mass. 32-bit seems to be soon if not already
in process of being removed from Stretch:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/debian-is-dropping-support-for-older-32-bit-hardware-architectures-in-debian-9-503832.shtml

If you mean I should replace the old equipment, I was planning on doing so. The oldest system in my collection is a Sony Viao video workstation that I believe came with Windows 98 on it. I think it is 17 or 18 years old, and is simply one of the best pieces of hardware of any kind I've ever owned. It has run 24/7 since I purchased it.

I'm probably going to buy some Libreboot T400s, or I might get some Intel NUCs, if I think Debian's repositories will support that newer hardware.

It's a shame, though, to have perfectly useful pieces like the Panasonic CF-R3 be relegated to obsolete software. The thing is a gem. It's tiny even by modern netbook standards but is fast and powerful. It was a marvel when it was introduced, and it's still no slouch.

I appreciate your observations and suggestions.

Regards,
JP