Re: Stretch System Stops Boot Process Immediately After Grub Screen

Jape Person composed on 2016-10-23 14:33 (UTC-0400):

Felix Miata wrote:

Does the same thing happen booting the previous kernel (4.6?)?

Nope. The problem occurred on the first reboot after the upgrade
from 4.7.6-1 to 4.7.8-1. The upgrade process didn't leave
4.7.6-1 in place so I could fall back.

I don't remember just when I started seeing that upgrade
behavioral change in Debian. I used to always use the new kernel
for a week or so, and then I would have to use apt to remove the
old one if it was no longer needed.

I don't remember having any Stretch installations with fewer than two installed kernels. The currently booted one, originally installed 51 weeks ago, has 6 installed. I've yet to discover any doc suggesting anything about any possibility of automatic removal of old kernels from Debian Testing installations.

Could it be that the pae kernel your CF-R3 is running is not the recommended kernel for that CPU, and that has something to do with replacement on kernel upgrade instead of simply adding new?

Maybe the time is now opportune for an arch upgrade. The supply of devs working 32-bit seems to be shrinking quickly towards critical mass. 32-bit seems to be soon if not already in process of being removed from Stretch:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/debian-is-dropping-support-for-older-32-bit-hardware-architectures-in-debian-9-503832.shtml

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/