Re: Stretch System Stops Boot Process Immediately After Grub Screen

James P. Wallen composed on 2016-10-23 12:14 (UTC-0400):

On 10/22/2016 18:10 (UTC-0400), Jape Person wrote:

It's confusing to see a response from a different person writing as if he was responding to himself.

Be that as it may, have either of you tried intercepting Grub and unquieting the boot process? Remove quiet, and either change splash to splash=0 or remove splash entirely. Then proceed to boot, and see what if anything shows up on screen besides a blinking underline cursor in the upper left corner.

Does the same thing happen booting the previous kernel (4.6?)?

Have you tried giving it 10 or more minutes before assuming boot won't complete?

I have a Stretch installation last updated about three weeks ago, which installed a 4.7 kernel of 26 Sept. Booting it just now took >4.5 minutes to get from the Grub selection to seeing boot messages appear on screen, but from the point messages started appearing, boot proceeded normally.

I have >20 multiboot PCs with various distros. I've been encountering this type of boot delay, sometimes as long as more than 13 minutes, with random kernel/initrd pairs in several different distros, for going on two years. It's happened only when Dracut builds the initrd, and only with 64 bit installations. Whenever I've asked anywhere about this I've gotten zero useful response, if any response at all.

http://markmail.org/message/yj3l3uphno3cgpgp is probably where I first asked publicly.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/