Re: Most compatible way to prepare USB stick

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 20:03:01 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu 20 Oct 2016 at 19:42:51 +0100, Joe wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 19:04:12 +0100
> > Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Wiping the first megabyte is good advice - it will remove any
> > > trace of previously installed Debian isohybrid images. But
> > > Windows machines aren't thick on the ground here. Can I use a
> > > Linux machine? Will I regret it if I do?
> > >

> > Probably not, but the OP did say 'most compatible'. I've had most
> > trouble with pre-formatted sticks, often partitionless, so I don't
> > think twice about formatting new ones now.
>
> As the OP said
>
>   The key criterion is that it should be maximally compatible
>
> If a reformatted USB stick on Debian isn't "maximally compatible" I
> could understand the steering towards using Windows for the operation.
> I don't have Windows but many do. They are the ones to test and
> report.

And I do. My server, home workstation and netbook run Debian, my
working laptop and my wife's workstation run Windows, as do all of my
clients. My experience is that Windows is sometimes fussy about
Linux-formatted media, hence my advice.

--
Joe