Re: Most compatible way to prepare USB stick

On Thu 20 Oct 2016 at 19:42:51 +0100, Joe wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 19:04:12 +0100
> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> > > +1
> > >
> > > Use Linux 'dd' to wipe the first megabyte, plug the USB flash drive
> > > into a Windows machine, and use Windows to format it.
> >
> > Wiping the first megabyte is good advice - it will remove any trace
> > of previously installed Debian isohybrid images. But Windows machines
> > aren't thick on the ground here. Can I use a Linux machine? Will I
> > regret it if I do?
> >

> Probably not, but the OP did say 'most compatible'. I've had most
> trouble with pre-formatted sticks, often partitionless, so I don't
> think twice about formatting new ones now.

As the OP said

  The key criterion is that it should be maximally compatible

If a reformatted USB stick on Debian isn't "maximally compatible" I
could understand the steering towards using Windows for the operation.
I don't have Windows but many do. They are the ones to test and report.