Re: replaygain, soundkonverter, aac/m4a glitch

On 10/3/2016 6:42 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Sun, Oct 02, 2016 at 04:29:24PM -0700, Seeker wrote:
Am I the only one on the list listening to music off of my phone over
bluetooth in the car or having some other reason to want normalized music
playback? :O :)

No, but you are the only one top posting...

(Sorry, couldn't resist it)

I don't mind a little humor. :)

I do what you said all the time, with several devices, including
bluetooth headphones (which this list famously helped me get working)
as well as using the phone as an audio source for the PC. I don't
feel the need to futz around with the audio to do it.

Mark

It's less of an issue for me on the computer, but it would still be nice
to have more normalized levels on the playback.

Individual experience will differ, it depends on the range of stuff you
have in your collection and listening habits, whole albums versus random
play.

The extremes in my collection between the quiet tracks and the loud
tracks are too extreme. I don't want to reduce the level of the loud
stuff excessively and I don't want to bring the level of the quiet stuff
up so much the clipping becomes an issue.

So even with normalization there will be quieter and louder stuff, but
in theory the levels will be close enough.

Some of the worst offenders were/are things that were recorded to the
computer from cassette tapes, metal oxide versus normal tape, differing
levels of tape degradation, lack of knowledge on my part on how to
compensate for some of the issues to get the best end result, etc...
Some of those have since been replaced by CD versions, others I continue
to keep an eye out for as I shop for other things.

Even without taking that into consideration there are some pretty big
extremes.

Age is probably the next biggest factor, 20s/30s, versus 40s/50s versus
60s/70s versus 80s/90s versus 2k+

Genre/style factors in as well.

For the phone, if I am wearing earbuds and have turned up the the volume
for something quiet, the loud stuff is too loud. When I am running, the
bluetooth headset volume is limited to a lower level which takes care of
the 'too loud' part, but the quiet stuff gets lost to road noise,
depending on how close to a road I am and how much traffic there is.
Over bluetooth in the car, my car is not the worst at blocking road
noise, but not great either, so quiet stuff being lost to road noise
versus loud stuff becoming an assault on the ears.

The car is the most annoying case for me. As I get replaygain tags
applied to more of my music, I am having more road trips where I never
touch the volume after I have made the initial adjustment.

Vanilla Music on the phone does have extra options on it's replaygain
menu for setting a "replaygain pre-amp" value and to reduce the volume
for tracks that do not have replaygain tags. Have to investigate those
options further. Probably more useful for playlists than for listening
to the entire music collection on random play, and random play of my
entire collection is what I do +95% of the time.

Later, Seeker