Re: replaygain, soundkonverter, aac/m4a glitch

On Mon 03 Oct 2016 at 22:42:43 (+0900), Mark Fletcher wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 02, 2016 at 04:29:24PM -0700, Seeker wrote:
> > Am I the only one on the list listening to music off of my phone over
> > bluetooth in the car or having some other reason to want normalized music
> > playback? :O :)
> >

> No, but you are the only one top posting...
>
> (Sorry, couldn't resist it)

Hmm. It's certainly top-posting when replies precede what they're
replies to. I don't consider making a rhetorical aside like that as
top-posting. It usefully keeps the remark apart from the facts below,
and doesn't in any way depend on it.

> I do what you said all the time, with several devices, including
> bluetooth headphones (which this list famously helped me get working) as
> well as using the phone as an audio source for the PC. I don't feel the
> need to futz around with the audio to do it.

Well, setting a different volume setting for each track is about the
least futzing one can do with any sound system, which is why even the
dumbest player has a volume control. (The inability of US TV stations
to equalise their sound between programmes and adverts is staggering.)

But assuming you don't use headphones when driving (illegal in Japan,
varies in the US) then your repertoire must be different from ours.
Most post~1750 classical music makes for difficult listening in a car.
It is quite beyond my understanding why vehicle manufacturers don't
supply systems with volume-compression. One of the downsides of the
demise of vinyl is the ridiculous dynamic range used on some
modern recordings.

But that paragraph explains why track normalisation is not enough
for me. I've tried to write a function to compand on the fly with
sox, but without much success. That wouldn't work with my phone
anyway. I load all the MP3s on our gogear with companded music so that
it can be used satisfactorily in the street, but there it's just a
step in the already necessary conversion¹. My phone plays a much
greater range of source formats which I just copy onto the SD
card. Companding gigabytes of files ahead of time is a pain.

So I would be interested if my view of MP3 tags underestimates their
usefulness as a track is played, and whether there are players that
can compand/compress on the fly.

¹ timidity/ffmpeg|avconv/cdparanoia ⇉ .wavs ⇉ sox...compand...files → lame → .mp3

Cheers,
David.