replaygain, soundkonverter, aac/m4a glitch

The story so far. On Debian unstable.

Easymp3gain was removed from Debian unstable. Settling in on alternatives before I remove it from my system.

Not completely against using the different *gain tools from the command line, but would prefer GUI.

Tried QTGain https://sourceforge.net/projects/qtgain/
Apparently from the change log it had more of an interface, but went back to minimal with the port to QT5.

Initially had a not previously gained mp3 file to test. After letting QTGain do it's thing, something seemed a little odd when looking with easymp3gain, the replaygain tool in Soundkonverter, and Musicbrainz Picard to see what replaygain information they showed.

After adding, removing, adding, removing with no issues, went back to QTGain a second time and after using QTGain the second time, Easymp3gain showed the volume at 89, instead of volume '92' and track tag '-3'.

So QTGain is out.

Generally speaking I'm leaning toward using the replaygain tool in Soundkonverter, looked good from my initial testing with mp3, ripped 3 CDs and used it for them so it looks good with vorbis audio.

Where the glitch comes in is with m4a files. The replay gain tool just shows question marks in the track and album gain fields. Tried checking the box to force recalculation then clicked the 'Tag Untagged' button, looked like it was behaving correctly and doing the calculation/recalculation, still shows question marks. Easymp3gain shows the gain has been set.

Next found a different album of m4a files, loaded them in Easymp3gain to verify the tags were there, loaded them in the replaygain tool and again it just showed question marks.

I did also post a message in the KDE forum asking if anybody else has seen this behavior

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=136507

As I write this there were 6 views, no replies.

Same question here, anybody else seeing this behavior?

Later, Seeker