Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 06:10:43PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 22:31:24 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
>
> > This is what I did although in practice neither apt-get -f install nor
> > Wheezy were needed.
>
> Strange. cnijfilter-ix6500series_3.50-1_amd64.deb depends on libtiff4,
> which in turn depends on libjeg8. Nether of these is in Jessie. Could it
> be you already had them on your system?

Yep, both are present here -- I can only assume that is because this
system, as I've mentioned in past threads but did not in this one, was
originally installed when etch was testing, and has been steadily
upgraded since then as each new distribution became testing, until
Jessie became stable at which point I didn't upgrade to stretch because
by that time this machine was doing important enough things for me that
I didn't want downtime for breakages.

Interestingly, both show as "Automatically Installed" according to aptitude. And yet if nothing depends on them in Jessie, I would have expected them to be removed...

"aptitude why" answers the question for one of them. libjpeg8 is
depended on by libgphoto2-2. I assume that's also an old package but it
is installed on my machine and not automatically, I must have asked for
it at some point. That library is about digital cameras so I assume I
was wrestling with getting a digital camera to work with the PC at some
point in the past. I don't remember that but it's entirely possible.
Presumably nothing in Jessie actually conflicts with either libgphoto2-2
or libjpeg8.

Libtiff4 is a little bit more interesting. "aptitude why" says that it
is installed because the Canon printer driver needs it (by the way
libjpeg8 did *not* say that the Canon printer driver needed it) and
nothing else. So I'm less sure about what it was doing on my system
before this. But, happily, it was there.

Mark