Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 10:53:11PM +0100, Brian wrote:

> It wasn't cups-calibrate I was really advocating but the trying out of
> printing a file using the Canon and Gutenprint drivers. Do both give the
> same outcome?

Sorry Brian, I think some confusion there due to my phrasing in the
original post. There is, to my knowledge, no Canon-supplied Linux CUPS
driver for this printer. When I said some variation of "Canon iX6500
series driver" in my original post, I was referring to the Gutenprint
driver as that is what the Gutenprint driver is called.

Now I will be honest, I haven't googled this recently, and don't have
time to even now as I am actually supposed to be in the shower and then
on my way to work, but I will check later... but at the time I first set
this printer up I could not find anything from Canon for Linux for this
printer. Language may have been getting in the way at the time, as this
particular model number is/was only ever sold in Japan to my knowledge.

In the very early days Gutenprint didn't have a driver either and I was
using a driver with a very approximately similar name which very
approximately worked... but in the fullness of time the Gutenprint
driver I am using appeared (or I finally saw what was in front of my
face, that is also possible) and I am using it now. The darkness of
native Linux printing, and the contrast if you will pardon the pun
between that and printing from Windows, didn't strike me until some time
later when the driver situation had been stable for some time.

So to the best of my knowledge I'm using the right driver, all functions
certainly work, and the only issue is how dark the images come out,
compared to the high quality results I get when I print from Windows.

Incidentally, the printer _does_ come with a driver (and a ton of
bloatware) for Windows. On one Windows printer I installed the driver
and the bloatware, on the other VM I installed the absolute minimum to
get the network printer to install. (and when I say network printer, I
mean from Windows' perspective -- this printer is not a network printer
as far as it is concerned, there is no ethernet port on it, the only way
in is USB). So the bloatware isn't the reason the printer is looking
better under Windows, since both VMs can print with better results (and
the same as each other).

So I am being drawn to the conclusion that your comments about the
non-existent Canon driver (it being rubbish at colour management) can be
applied instead to the Gutenprint driver, hence the way I perked up when
you mentioned cups-calibrate. Which I will try the second I get longer
than 5 mins in front of my PC.

Thanks

Mark