Re: Canon printer minor quibble

On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 00:03:38 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:25:19AM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > You should now be able to compare the outputs of the Gutenprint and
> > Canon drivers. Color management support is done by cups-filters
> > (completed in Aug 2014) so it will be common to both drivers.
>
> Just to say I have downloaded the Canon driver, and also did an
> independent search for the specific model, which indeed only seems to be
> specifically mentioned on Japanese sites. But searches there take me to
> the same driver, so that is good. I'll install this and try test
> printing as soon as I have enough time in front of this machine, may be
> the weekend the way this week is going.
>
> Didn't want you to think I had wandered off. Appreciate your help.

Appreciated.

> One thing I noticed -- the site mentions CUPS drivers, but only in
> connection with the Mac version of the driver, which I find ironic
> considering what the U of CUPS stands for. On the other hand the Linux
> driver doesn't mention CUPS. However, on downloading the Linux driver
> and pawing through the files that come with it, the install shell script
> is looking for a working CUPS installation which is somewhat reassuring.

The Mac only has CUPS printing system whereas Linux additionally has
lprng. That might not be the significance, of course. Note that if you
asked upstream what CUPS stood for they would probably say "nothing".

> Anyway will finish trying to understand that shell script later -- it
> wants me to run it as root, no way I am doing that until I have
> satisfied myself I know roughly what it is going to do -- and then will
> install the driver and compare the output.

Be a Debian man; dispense with that script and install the two provided
debs with 'dpkg -i'. I don't want to spoil the fun but will mention that
'apt-get -f install' and Wheezy are your friends.

> More to follow...

It gets boring after the package install. A print queue is easily set up
and printing to file gives no trouble.

--
Brian.