Re: Scroll Lock on VT prevents reboot/shutdown

David Wright composed on 2016-09-30 18:58 (UTC+0300):

On Fri 30 Sep 2016 at 18:06:18 (+0300), Reco wrote:

Presumably systemd has its merits, but VT handling is not one of them.
I agree that there're many cornercases in sysvinit's VT handling, but
inability to shut down and reboot is always a touchy subject to me.

But I'm not intending to start a flamewar here (although it's a Friday
night ;), this 'unable to reboot' thing is clearly a minor bug ether in
systemd or jessie's kernel.

Agreed. I get fed up looking at a screen that says, say,
"A stop job is running for LSB: RPC portmapper replacement (22min 51s / no limit)"
or worse, the ones where there's a 90sec timeout which, as soon as it
is reached, changes to 180sec, and so on, 90sec by 90sec ad infinitum.
Linux used to be able to close down irrespective of stalled services.
Now you have to risk corrupting filesystems by forcibly powering off.

I asked about systemd's start job/stop job reboot delays on the systemd-dev list over 21 months ago, but never have run across anything being done about it. Most recently I've seen it because nfs server does not start, so can't be stopped at shutdown.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2015-January/027214.html

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/