Re: WARNING! New Perl/Perl-base upgrade removes 141 Sid/Unstable packages

On 2016-09-28 10:46 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre writes:
> > Things like that should not happen. But this is not a bug in the perl
> > packages. This is a misfeature of apt / aptitude, which want to remove
> > packages instead of holding the new packages (well, AFAIK, aptitude
> > has improved, but is still not perfect).
>
> Aptitude can't read your mind.  When you tell it to install
> something it assumes that you mean what you say and proposes
> solutions to any conflicts based on various heuristics.

When there's some kind of conflict during a package installation
or upgrade, the first solutions proposed by aptitude almost
invariably involve large numbers of package removals. The
simple solution that upgrades/installs what can be and leaves
the rest alone is usually there but buried under at least three
-- and sometimes tens of -- very disruptive ones.

If aptitude got it wrong half the time, it might be for want of
reading minds. But in my experience it gets it consistently
wrong. Suggests to me that what it needs is new heuristics.

--
André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
Ever got spam through an address harvested from bugs.debian.org ?