Re: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 04:52:34PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> You need a ~/.xsession file when you need a ~/.xsession file. Isn't it
> one purpose of the wiki to explain how it fits into the traditional X
> configuration and why one might be useful. Instead, we appear to have
> ~/.xsessionrc promoted as the One True Way; how did you come to that
> conclusion?

Because it is the only thing that *actually works* no matter which
display manager and which session type the user is running.  If the
user is running gdm3 and using a GNOME session and wants to add a
directory to PATH, ~/.xsessionrc can do that.  If the user is running
startx, ~/.xsessionrc still works.  If the user is running lightdm
with a Debian X session, ~/.xsessionrc still works.

In fact, that's why Debian *created* it.  They wanted something that
would Just Work.  There was no existing tool that could fill that role.

If you prefer ~/.xsession because you've already learned never to run
gdm3, great.  Go ahead and use that.  I use ~/.xsession myself.  I
didn't even know about ~/.xsessionrc until I started down this path
and someone linked to the debian-reference web page.  That's where I
learned about it.  Its purpose was immediately clear to me.

Now I have an answer for the end-user questions that have been stumping
me for years... at least in #debian.  #bash is another story.