Re: Typing Cyrillic script with a UK keyboard in an en-gb setting

On 09/24/2016 04:10 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> My husband has just asked to do this.  His system is vanilla from this point
> of view.  (Mine is in a mess, with a messed-up scim and no foreign
> fonts "working", but that is another story.)
>
> Advice please on the best way to achieve this for him.  I.e., what do those of
> you doing this or similar find works comfortably.

There's ibus and the ibus-table-translit package, so all GUI applications
that support ibus [1] will allow you to enter cyrillic characters via
typing latin equivalents. (ibus is a generic input framework originally
designed for complex scripts, such as Chinese, but now supports a lot of
things, just search for packages with ibus-table- in their name. Btw.
there's also a package for traditional Russian, if you're interested in
really old writings. For any modern Russian I would recommend just using
the aforementioned ibus-table-translit though.)

For example, typing "b" will give you a б, typing "v" will give you a в,
typing "ya" will give you a я, typing "yo" will give you a ё, and so on.

ibus is not completely trivial to setup, but it's not terribly difficult
either. It does take a bit of getting used to, but if you switch the
method back to "English", the keyboard will behave as you'd normally
expect.

Alternatively, there's something similar but as a website, called
http://translit.net/
which does the same in the Browser (Javascript required) - most Russian
people I know use that regularly.

Also, in case this is archived and people find this: for Mac OS X user
there appears to be
https://github.com/archagon/cyrillic-transliterator
which I believe does the same thing that ibus-table-translit does.
(Never tried it though.)

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Christian