Re: Strange Gnome-terminal behaviour

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 12:05:44AM +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> Also I just ran mutt in an X terminal instead by invoking xterm from
> Gnome-Terminal, and although the font is horrible and the window is too
> small, it does NOT display the same psychotic intermittent scrolling
> behaviour. So the problem really does seem to be confined to Gnome
> Terminal. And, it is worse than it was a few days ago -- in the last
> week or so I have been doing a lot of shell scripting work and would
> probably have broken my keyboard over my knee if I had been having the
> problems all week I've been having in the last few days... Which is
> really weird when I think about it because this is Jessie and yesterday
> was the first time I had applied any updates in 2 weeks... And I was
> seeing the problem before the update...
>
> That suggests hardware, but the fact that no other application is
> affected suggests not... Confused.

I don't use gnome terminal, but for lack of anyone throwing anything else against
the wall, the next two things I would try are:

1. If there is an application cache, clear it; and
2. If the application uses profiles of any kind, try a new, blank one.

Related to those, you could create a new regular user, and log in as him/her, which
should give a "blank slate" to test from.  Lastly, purge the application and all
config files and re-install (or just install Terminator or some such
replacement).