Building Debian Package From Upstream Source

Hi, wanting to upgrade to a newer version of Liferea than what's in
Testing.

So, I downloaded the upstream source, downloaded the most recent version
of the Debian Package, so that I have a Debian source tree. Next I
copied the Debian source tree directory from the existing Debian source
package into the upstream source, with Debian dsc and OrigSrc one level
up.
Then I ran 'dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -j4' as root' which gave me the
following error;

dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package liferea
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 1.10.19-2
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution unstable
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by David Michael Smith
<sidicas2@gmail.com>
dpkg-buildpackage: info: host architecture amd64
 dpkg-source --before-build liferea-1.12-rc1a
 dpkg-source: info: using options from
 liferea-1.12-rc1a/debian/source/options: --compression=xz
 dpkg-source: info: applying debian-example-feeds.patch
 dpkg-source: info: applying www-browser.patch
 patching file src/browser.c
 Hunk #1 FAILED at 72.
 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED
 patching file net.sf.liferea.gschema.xml.in
 dpkg-source: info: the patch has fuzz which is not allowed, or is
 malformed
 dpkg-source: info: if patch 'www-browser.patch' is correctly applied by
 quilt, use 'quilt refresh' to update it
 dpkg-source: info: restoring quilt backup files for www-browser.patch
 dpkg-source: error: LC_ALL=C patch -t -F 0 -N -p1 -u -V never -E -b -B
 .pc/www-browser.patch/ --reject-file=- <
 liferea-1.12-rc1a/debian/patches/www-browser.patch gave error exit
 status 1
 dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source --before-build liferea-1.12-rc1a
 gave error exit status 2

 I'm new to building Debian packages, so any suggestions appreciated,
 I'm running Debian 'Testing'.