Re: Building Debian Package From Upstream Source

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 10:43:04AM -0400, Stephen Allen wrote:
> Hi, wanting to upgrade to a newer version of Liferea than what's in
> Testing.
>
> So, I downloaded the upstream source, downloaded the most recent version
> of the Debian Package, so that I have a Debian source tree. Next I
> copied the Debian source tree directory from the existing Debian source
> package into the upstream source, with Debian dsc and OrigSrc one level
> up.
> Then I ran 'dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -j4' as root' which gave me the
> following error;

<Snip>

>  dpkg-source: info: applying debian-example-feeds.patch
>  dpkg-source: info: applying www-browser.patch
>  patching file src/browser.c
>  Hunk #1 FAILED at 72.

I think what you have here is a package-specific problem. The Debian
build is attempting to apply patches to the source. Since you have
grafted in newer source, I suspect the affected source file has been
updated in an incompatible way and now the patch doesn't work
(presumably because the lines it expects to change are either gone or
are no longer at the expected line numbers in the source file).

What can you do about this? Not a lot, except maybe if you have the
skills take the Debian Testing source, apply the patch yourself to get
the patched source file, then diff this with the newer source file and
figure out if the intent of the patch is still needed. If so, you'd need
to apply it manually to the updated source, or, if you are lucky, obtain
an updated patch from somewhere.

Depending on how strong a programmer you are, you may or may not be able
to do this. Another option would be to go back to the package developers
(the original developers, not the Debian package maintainer) and ask if
they have an updated version of the patch, if it is still needed /
recommended.

I assume there isn't a sufficiently up to date version of the package in

Mark