Re: Building Debian Package From Upstream Source

Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> writes:

> So, I downloaded the upstream source, downloaded the most recent
> version of the Debian Package, so that I have a Debian source tree.

Is the upstream source you downloaded, different from the upstream source
(the ‘….orig.tar.gz’) to which the Debian packaging is intended to apply?

Especially when patches are needed, you shouldn't expect those patches
to apply to anything except the exact upstream version. The work of a
Debian package maintainer includes re-working the patches for each version.

--
 \       “You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I'll bet he |
  `\                         was glad to get rid of it.” —Groucho Marx |