Re: Resolved: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On Fri 23 Sep 2016 at 10:07:43 -0700, Seeker wrote:

> On 9/22/2016 6:18 PM, Seeker wrote:

> >>Good catch! You can have a ~/.xprofile but none of the files in /etc/X11
> >>will look for it. startx uses only the files in /etc/X11; it will ignore
> >>whatever is in such a file.
> >>
> >>That does not mean nothing else will look for ~/.xprofile and source it
> >>if it exists. It's one of the wonders of Debian; just when you think you
> >>have a total grasp of the situation something extra comes to light. Time
> >>for some not very onerous detective work. (Clue: DM).
> >>

> >Way back I used to use '~/.profile'. Somewhere along the way, maybe
> >because I stopped using GDM, that quit working. The indication at that
> >time was it was not a bug and the recommendation seemed to be to use
> >'~/.xprofile'.
> >
> >I'm running unstable by the way.
> >
> >It's been a while since I needed to set variables during login.
> >
> >I do see a '/etc/X11/Xsession.d/60xprofile' file that looks like it
> >should cause '/etc/xprofile' and '~/.xprofile' to get sourced, but that
> >doesn't seem to be happening on my system.
> >
> >I'm using lightdm for my display manager, lxqt for my desktop, with
> >openbox for the window manager most of the time.
> >
> >Will have to look at lxde and kde to see if it is a desktop thing or
> >something else.
> >
> >Later, Seeker
> >

> In spite of the existence of 60xprofile and the fact that '~/.xprofile' did
> get sourced in the ast, I'm not finding any information on when you
> might expect xprofile/.xprofile to get sourced or not sourced.

To the very best of my knowledge ~/.xprofile has never been a feature of
Debian's X configuration files in /etc/X11. However, it is acted on by
gdm3 in *its* Xsession script.

What does

  dpkg -S /full/path/to/60xprofile

give you?

> So it looks like '~/.xsessionrc' is way to go.

For what? In what circumstance?

> I guess the next question would be....
>
> Can we expect this to continue working over the long haul with a Wayland
> session or will we have to start putting things into
> '~/.config/autostart/'?

Pass.

--
Brian.