Re: Installing a MINIMAL Mate Desktop How?

On 9/11/2016 12:52 PM, Brian wrote:
On Sun 11 Sep 2016 at 10:04:06 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

While waiting for response(s) to my my post I installed marco, xorg, xterm,
mate-terminal, mate-panel, mate-session-manager and lightdm.

I now have a workable, if ugly *MINIMAL* install. !!!! ;)
Now to find some decorative elements and chose the applications I want.

The meaning of "minimal" is very difficult to define as it very much
depends on the purpose of the install, what functionality is required,
how it is to be used now and in the future and who it is to be used by.

If I were doing what you are doing I wouldn't install xorg because it
would take some 213 MB of space on this machine without the recommended
packages. Instead (without recommended packages) I'd have xserver-org,
xserver-org-input-evdev and xserver-xorg-video-nouveau for 15 MB of disk
space. I doubt much (if anything) is lost by taking that route to X.

Adding xterm to my basic X install is 3 MB of space extra. mate-terminal
is 105 MB, so it is no contest if space taken is a major criterion. You
could see less ugliness in mate-terminal so there is little point in
arguing about what is minimal.

lightdm looks nice and only adds an extra 2 MB. nodm adds hardly
anything. Is a fancy DM necessary?

I'd use mc instead of marco but wouldn't give it to a user who expects
clickety-click things and automounting.

Do you see what I am getting at? It could be said that minimal (like
beauty) is in the eye of the beholder.

I haven't tried your suggestions yet - even retired there are only so many hours. My definition of "minimal" focuses more on what is seen by user rather than optimizing for minimum footprint [RAM or disk]. I've some sketchy ideas for the later but other projects have priority.

My current preseed.cfg contains:

### Package selection
tasksel tasksel/first multiselect standard
# was tasksel tasksel/first multiselect standard, laptop

# Individual additional packages to install
d-i pkgsel/include string mate-desktop-environment-core xorg xterm lightdm pluma synaptic gparted

This gives me a framework to install just the programs I'll actually use rather than what some committee thinks "everybody" wants ;/