Re: Installing a MINIMAL Mate Desktop How?

On Mon 19 Sep 2016 at 08:17:57 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 9/11/2016 12:52 PM, Brian wrote:
> >
> >The meaning of "minimal" is very difficult to define as it very much
> >depends on the purpose of the install, what functionality is required,
> >how it is to be used now and in the future and who it is to be used by.
> >
> >If I were doing what you are doing I wouldn't install xorg because it
> >would take some 213 MB of space on this machine without the recommended
> >packages. Instead (without recommended packages) I'd have xserver-org,
> >xserver-org-input-evdev and xserver-xorg-video-nouveau for 15 MB of disk
> >space. I doubt much (if anything) is lost by taking that route to X.
> >
> >Adding xterm to my basic X install is 3 MB of space extra. mate-terminal
> >is 105 MB, so it is no contest if space taken is a major criterion. You
> >could see less ugliness in mate-terminal so there is little point in
> >arguing about what is minimal.
> >
> >lightdm looks nice and only adds an extra 2 MB. nodm adds hardly
> >anything. Is a fancy DM necessary?
> >
> >I'd use mc instead of marco but wouldn't give it to a user who expects
> >clickety-click things and automounting.
> >
> >Do you see what I am getting at? It could be said that minimal (like
> >beauty) is in the eye of the beholder.
>
> I haven't tried your suggestions yet - even retired there are only so many
> hours.
> My definition of "minimal" focuses more on what is seen by user rather than
> optimizing for minimum footprint [RAM or disk]. I've some sketchy ideas for
> the later but other projects have priority.

Indeed, that is also another way of looking at "minimal" and no less
valid than another way.

> My current preseed.cfg contains:
>
> ### Package selection
> tasksel tasksel/first multiselect standard
> # was tasksel tasksel/first multiselect standard, laptop
>
> # Individual additional packages to install
> d-i pkgsel/include string mate-desktop-environment-core xorg xterm lightdm
> pluma synaptic gparted

Looks good. Thinking on: my suggestion for a minimal X is probably one
you could ignore. xorg is a better option if this preseed.cfg is to be
used on a variety of machines.

> This gives me a framework to install just the programs I'll actually use
> rather than what some committee thinks "everybody" wants ;/

Getting your desired programs via a late_command is something to look
at.

--
Brian.