Installing a MINIMAL Mate Desktop How?

When Squeeze was the latest I was able to install without any desktop.
I would then do
   apt-get install gnome-session gdm3 gedit gnome-terminal gparted
The result was a nice uncluttered desktop to which I could add what *I* needed rather than what the proverbial "everybody" should have ;)

According to http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#debian I should be able to do
   apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-core

That is not enough, it leaves me with only a command line.
I have the full Mate desktop on one machine. Using Synaptic on that machine and using apt-get install **** on the other I was able too identify some missing pieces.

"apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-core" does not install marco, xorg, xterm, nor lightdm. My brute force diagnostic procedure was to install each of them in the order listed with a reboot in between to see if everything worked. It did not. After installing each of the 1st three I was left at the command line. After installing lightdm I was presented with a blank screen.

As I have minimal bandwidth available I am installing from purchased DVD's - currently version 8.0.0 . After the point release later this month I will obtain the latest.

Has anyone successfully done such a minimal install as I am attempting?
TIA