Re: cant get to desktop anymore

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 08:33:23PM -0400, Neal P. Murphy wrote:
> <CTRL><ALT><F7> will reach the X11 session. If it started. If not, it could be that a default xdm session (KDE, Gnome, XFCE, etc.) wasn't selected or a desktop 'task' wasn't installed.
>
> Console #7 is the standard console used for X11. Console #1 is the default console when there is no default X11 session.

That was true in wheezy.  It's not true in jessie.

In jessie, running with systemd by default, the display manager takes
over the *first* virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F1).  The first console with
a getty is therefore Ctrl-Alt-F2.

Of course, if there is no display manager installed at all, then Ctrl-Alt-F1
should have a getty running on it once the system boots.  But as soon as
you run startx, X takes over the *first* console (not the seventh)
and you're right back to the same situation as if you had used a display
manager.

(I use startx on jessie, so I speak from direct personal experience,
tested right now.)