Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

On Sun 11 Sep 2016 at 23:14:26 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
> David Wright composed on 2016-09-11 21:44 (UTC-0500):
> >>Subject: Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved
> How is it beneficial to list anyone here or searching list archives
> to continue a thread by chastising an OP for being imperfect more
> than 12 hours after OP added string "solved" to the subject and
> thanked people who provided useful help?

What does "12 hours" have to do with the price of fish?

Ironic to say that about a post that itself contains:
 "Re your last post quoted above, what's the problem with running jessie
  and reporting the information you were asked for? I assume that you
  installed jessie so that you could run it occasionally.
  I know some people on this list treat it like the telephone ("I'm
  going to bed now, and will try it in the morning" kind of thing) but
  the list will wait for the next occasion that you boot up your jessie.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  In fact, it often pays *not* to give quick responses because it gives
  you time to think on the problem, and you *are* the best-placed
  person to come up with a solution (as you have done, in a way)."

The reasons I posted:

AMcC drew attention to the title of his post: "How to get Jessie to
run at boot time -- Problem solved" where it's not clear that the
problem being solved is what's in the title, nor that the "solution"
is anything more that a workaround that does something for him.

His annoyance at being asked to provide more information so that
people trying to help can have a decent crack of the whip.

His implication that people should only ask those questions if
they move in the company of experts in Debian or grub.

So that summary I wrote was to explain why I was still mystified as to
the nature of his problem and its "solution", and how the "L or M"
business might help with matters. Knowing what is on the screen when
he presses F12 might help; there again, it might not. On this Dell,
F12 gives you a chance to boot from HardDrive/CD/USB without having
to enter the CMOS and change the default priorities. It has no
choice of which sector is read on the device selected. Perhaps
Dells have changed. Maybe BIOS/UEFI has something to do without it.

So I wrote:

"I don't know what you see when you press F12, and I don't understand
what the "L or M" business is in times past."
which invites a reply without being a direct question (something AMcC
seems to take exception to, unless coming from "experts"; not me then).

I notice that AMcC has now written that his procedure is cumbersome
(though I still don't know what it is). In the next sentence, he
continues to blame the installer, and hopes it gets fixed.

Cheers,
David.