Re: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

On Mon 12 Sep 2016 at 14:14:53 (-0400), Alan McConnell wrote:
> [...]

Glad you found it funny.

> Now I have a follow-on question:  I'd like to be able, from Jessie, to copy files to and from my
> Windoze system.  I haven't really tried simply cd-ing to e.g. /dev/sda1, which is the partition
> containing my Windoze stuff.  Is that what you dual OS users do?  is there some subtle   mount
> command  that you use?   I shall be most grateful for any instructions, or even suggestions.

I put lines in /etc/fstab that look like:

UUID=8CA476AAA4769684 /media/olaf01 ntfs        ro,utf8
UUID=349A79B99A797866 /media/olaf02 ntfs        ro,utf8

where those UUIDs come from dire /dev/disk/by-uuid/* or
/run/udev/data/b* but bear in mind that I only transfer file in one
direction. I don't mess with NTFS disks: if I want to move files,
I transfer them via a VFAT stick in the USB socket.
That way, if and when they get screwed up, the blame lies
firmly with M$.

(The mount points follow my convention of the disk's nickname
plus two digits for the partition numbers.)

For anyone following this thread, do they recognise those UUIDs?
The reason I ask is that I have two XP systems both with those
numbers, but I have no idea if the university installs new PC
OSes by cloning disks, or whether the UUIDs carry information
like 30E002E0454647 now does. (Until today, google didn't find
them; tomorrow it might.)

Cheers,
David.