Re: Fwd: How to get Jessie to run at boot time -- Problem solved

On Sun 11 Sep 2016 at 18:49:47 (-0400), Alan McConnell wrote:
> [...]

This is a summary of what I've gleaned from your posts:

 How do I boot the new jessie installation?

 I don't need [rescue mode].
 I played with the BIOS.
 I am busy installing stuff.
 How do I do it? [sic]

 Do I want to install a different grub?
 I'd like a response from one of them(if they exist here) letting me
 know how [a dual boot system] works.

 What works for me now is the following: [and your solution]
 I shudder to think of someone taking my advice [etc]
 Jeez!!  I hope some maintainer reads this complaint and Debian  works
 hard to make sure that the operation of installing a second OS(Linux)
 on a Windoze box is as easy and error-proof as it is possible to make it.

 Why?  why all this?  What good will it do? to anyone?  To do this I'd
 have to get out of this URL(mail.his.com), shut down my Windoze,
 reboot to Jessie, copy the output you are requesting to a piece of
 paper, and then get back here.(*)
 May I ask: are you the Debian installation maintainer?  if you are,
 I'd be happy to work with you.

Now, I'm happy that you have what you consider is a working solution.
I don't know what you see when you press F12, and I don't understand
what the "L or M" business is in times past.

I can't find any description of what your actual problem is, with
some symptoms, other than that the computer doesn't do what you want
it to do, in some way that's unspecified.

I don't think that the maintainers of grub or the Debian installer
will be interested in this, beyond asking you to read the Debian
installation guide and the grub documentation (a long web page).
You need to report more specifically where what you read diverges
from what happens with your computer, including objective descriptions
of the problem rather than vague complaints.

People here will try to help you, but they can't divine what's
happening on your machine in the absence of facts. If there's really
a bug, then you may get help on how to either fix it, or report it
in such a way that the busy maintainers can isolate and act upon it.

Re your last post quoted above, what's the problem with running jessie
and reporting the information you were asked for? I assume that you
installed jessie so that you could run it occasionally.
I know some people on this list treat it like the telephone ("I'm
going to bed now, and will try it in the morning" kind of thing) but
the list will wait for the next occasion that you boot up your jessie.
In fact, it often pays *not* to give quick responses because it gives
you time to think on the problem, and you *are* the best-placed
person to come up with a solution (as you have done, in a way).

Cheers,
David.