Re: [resolved] FireFox broken,

On Sun 11 Sep 2016 at 15:28:03 (-0500), Mark Allums wrote:
> >I was amazed a couple days ago, I switched my default browser to
> >chromium, more for S&G than any other reason, as its now quite long in
> >the tooth.  I had to go thru an email driven procedure to verify the pw
> >at PP, but then it worked.  And its kept on working...
> >
> >And I've been using it for my daily dose of fake news from the mainsleaze
> >news sites, and except for cbsnews.com, nearly every video plays AND
> >stays in lip synch.
> >
> >I can now buy something online, and it works again. I think I'll leave it
> >that way for a while. :-)
> >
> >Firefox is still busted.
>
> Agreed.

And yet there are few complaints here. Up to the time of writing, I've
had no problem reaching the sites you mentioned, and no security warnings
(except that I intentionally browse with an old flashplayer configured
so that it doesn't start playing them but asks for confirmation instead).

> I believed our problems were related, and I still do.  I
> have run into other problems since I installed libnss3 from sid,
> problems that I haven't had time to relate here on debian-user up to
> now.  For instance, I couldn't verify my email with a certain site
> using Firefox, the site simply said email not verified. (You know,
> how they send you an email, and you click on a link.)  I copied the
> link address to Google Chrome, and it worked, first try.  There are
> a number of examples like this that I won't bother to enumerate,
> because they are incidental.  The problems surfaced with an update
> to firefox, that's why I blame Firefox.

I thought you just wrote "I have run into other problems since I
installed libnss3 from sid" above and "I blame a crypto update
for this" earlier. I couldn't follow your posts because I read a
lot of statements of blame before I saw any evidence of what your
problems were.

> I think now that Gene's
> problems won't all be cured by installing a recent libnss3.  Some
> people blame the age of Gene's system,

Gene and I both run "wheezy" (though I run jessie too). He has many
problems, often reported here, and some of the fixes he uses are
very un-Debian to say the least. (I wrote "wheezy" because Gene's
system is really only *based on* wheezy.)

> but I am running stretch, and
> I have run into the same problems (plural). You can blame my
> problems on my running Testing, but it's funny that both of us on
> two completely different systmes starting having trouble with the
> same update to Firefox/Iceweasel.

I've still only seen your assertions that they're the same
problems?/symptoms?/messages? (Not even sure which of these applies.)

Hoping things sort themselves out (often happens on testing)...

Cheers,
David.