Re: Decentralized reliable instant messaging?

On Wednesday 31 August 2016 11:31:18 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Wednesday 31 August 2016 15:45:42 Mark Fletcher wrote:
> > Well and
> > good -- actually, very good, because it prevents me making the
> > stupid mistake I frequently make of cc-ing the poster of the mail I
> > am replying to.
>
> But it doesn't prevent Nicolas from deliberately cc-ing most of the
> rest of us when replying to our mails; which is exceedingly annoying
> and is NOT in compliance with the CoC.
>
> It is, of course, and annoyance one can easily avoid by blacklisting
> him.
>
> Lisi

I do not know if its CoC correct, but my copy of kmail, courtesy the
Trinity people, shows that a "reply-to-list", goes only to the list,
while a "reply-all" goes to the list, and CC's the poster, in this case
Lisi.

And a simple reply says only to the list.  That seems odd as it should
reply to Lisi.  Something in the list headers apparently makes the list
address a higher priority.  So I use reply-all, then nuke the list
address by hand, and change the  Cc: line to a To: line if I want to PM
Lisi.

This works for me, and I am rarely chided about it. I would much druther
the reply-all kept track of the posters involved in the thread and CC'd
them if I click on the reply-all button, but that would be a memory
eating monster of a headache for kmail. FWIW, I turn off kmails thread
follower long ago, so I see them in their order of arrival here.

Those who missed a reply with valuable info in it because they aren't
subscribed, expecting to be Cc'd for that whole thread, should
subscribe, problem solved.

If our Mr. George were to use an email agent that did observe a similar
protocol, that would stand a good chance of shutting down threads such
as this one.

Have a great day everyone. My coffee pot had the audacity to run dry, so
I said a few magic incantations over it, and its now refilling itself.

Then I'll go see whats wrong with a tapered thread cutting program I am
in the middle of writing a universal version of in g-code (rs-274 std).
Once that has been done, then I need to find a plastic pan big enough to
hold this part covered in distilled water, and cut, using edm, three
slots at 60 degree angles so the part will have 6 fingers that a
similarly tapered nut I'll have to make, will screw onto, crushing those
fingers into a no slip grip on the end of a ball screw, even with half a
ton or more of push or pull is exerted on the screw. Fun & games when I
win, and it keeps me out of the bars to boot!

I should probably get a life, I have so far, outlived this one. :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)