Re: wicd trouble -- continued

On Friday 29 July 2016 01:01:07 Glenn English wrote:
> But. When I tried again after telling wicd to use DHCP instead of a static
> IP, it successfully connected. It even got the IP I'd set up for the laptop
> over on the DHCP server's config.

Ah!  There's the clue, I would guess.  You had reserved the IP so the DHCP
server wouldn't let anything have it.  So far as I can see, you can't have
your cake and eat it.  Static IP in laptop: use an IP that has not been
reserved for anything, it or anything else.  DHCP with a "satic" IP, reserve
the IP you want for that machine on the DHCP server.  But let the DHCP server
dish it out.

> Now dhclient -v wlan0 talks about how the server received a request and
> fulfilled it. The wicd icon has that green bar saying WiFi is on. The
> routing table looks reasonable. And I can ssh around the LAN, the DMZ, and
> get out to the WAN.
>

> That went pretty well, and I thank you very much for the guidance. But why?
> Why does DHCP work and a static IP doesn't? That's not too cool for a
> machine I use for admin'ing the servers.

Try a static IP that you have not asked the DHCP server to reserve.  That
should work.  But why not stick to DHCP with reservation?

Lisi