Re: wicd trouble -- continued

> On Jul 29, 2016, at 5:18 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Friday 29 July 2016 01:01:07 Glenn English wrote:
>> But. When I tried again after telling wicd to use DHCP instead of a static
>> IP, it successfully connected. It even got the IP I'd set up for the laptop
>> over on the DHCP server's config.
>
> Ah!  There's the clue, I would guess.

I claim your guess doesn't apply here, Lisi.

> You had reserved the IP so the DHCP server wouldn't let anything have it.

My DHCP server (the one supplied by a Wheezy install) is configured so that if it sees a MAC it recognizes, it gives out the IP that matches. Otherwise it picks one from a pool, in a distant part of the net, that I've set up for the purpose.

DHCP won't let anyone use an IP that it considers sacred *if DHCP has a chance to*. Setting a static IP in a wicd config means DHCP is completely out of the circuit and is never contacted (if my wicd guess is correct -- I haven't looked at the source, so I don't really know what wicd does with a static IP).

And besides, the DHCP config had been set up a long time ago, when my plan for the network was different. The wicd static was indeed different from the one in the DHCP config. And neither is mentioned anywhere else.

And I'd been using wicd for months with the same static IP config. No probs.

> But let the DHCP server dish it out.

That usually works just fine. But when I'm doing something rootly, there is sometimes no DHCP available. DHCP can be a mixed blessing.

--
Glenn English