wicd trouble

What does "Verifying access point association" mean, and what do you do to make it OK?

I have several Debian boxes, Wheezy and Jessie. Wired and wireless (3 wireless -- wicd manged). 2 of then are Raspberry Pi 3's the other is a GoBook laptop. All 3 are Jessie. All are XFCE4.

A few days ago, for no reason I can think of but surely something (I futz with my computers all the time, but I swear I did nothing to the laptop), they started failing to connect with the AP. Everything went smoothly until that step. Then they stayed there for a long time, then said it couldn't connect.

When I shut down the laptop one night, all was well. When it started the next morning, things were bent.

All have ethernet connectors, and all work successfully on Ethernet -- all connected by wicd.

I replaced the chip in one of the Pi's with a backup, and it started working. I've copied its wicd directory and its wpa-supplicant directory to the laptop (and rebooted after each), with no success. I've looked on the 'Net for anything that could be causing this, nada.

The Apple AP is OK, I think, because one of the Pi's and the MacAir works. The other 2 Debians worked until recently.

Any explanation(s) would be gratefully appreciated. Reinstalling on the Pi's is reasonable, although its OS has been modified a bit. But the laptop would be a major job.

--
Glenn English