Re: wicd trouble -- continued

> On Jul 28, 2016, at 5:36 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Indeed; presumably it has decided association and authentication with
> the access point has successfully taken place and the interface has got
> an IP number. However, there does not appear to be routing between the
> interface and the AP.

Wicd 'edits' the routing table. I can tell if the route exists either before or after wicd. Maybe I can bring up a terminal and examine the table while wicd's trying to ping. I've seen wicd create some peculiar routing tables.

> The issue is whether it is something in your setup or due to wicd.

My setup, I'm pretty sure. Wicd worked last week, and I've reinstalled it a number of times. I seem to have broken something that I don't know about.

> I'd suggest you test the association, authentication and obtaining of
> an IP stages without using wicd.

I'll do these things (and check the routing) and post the results, if any. Thanks much.

> It shouldn't be necessary to stop it
> but
>
>  systemctl stop wicd.service
>
> will do just that.
>
> Obtain the wireless interface name with
>
>  ifconfig -a
>
> and start the supplicant in one terminal with
>
>  wpa_supplicant -i <interface> -C /run/wpa_supplicant
>
> Read
>
>  https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/07/msg00130.html
>
> and use wpa_cli as directed. After association do
>
>  dhclient -v <interface>
>
> How does that go?

I'll let you know :-)

> It is wpa_supplicant which does the association and authentication. I
> assume dhclient is used to get an IP and set up routing.

Not here. There's no DHCP -- IPs are static. Wicd does the routing. I'll get DHCP running and see if that makes a difference.

But the DHCP server's on the net. How can wicd get to it before there's a net? I can understand how that happens when things are on Ethernet and the connectivity's already there. I guess I just don't understand the magic of WiFi enough.

> If wicd manages
> these processes correctly one would expect pinging the AP to work.

So WS does all that stuff that seems to be working, then wicd tries to ping to see if anything's really there? That sounds reasonable...

--
Glenn English