Re: reasons to ditch LILO before upgrading to jessie?

On Sun 10 Jul 2016 at 08:38:15 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 7/9/2016 4:00 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> >[snip]
> >>What I'd like to find which I've had no luck with so far, is finding a Debian
> >>installer cmdline option to skip the waste of time that is installation of
> >>any bootloader. My disks get generic MBR code and Grub installed by me before
> >>any OS gets installed. Thus, I have no need to see warnings about blocklists
> >>and unreliability from installers trying to do what I don't want or need done
> >
> >If you do the installation in expert mode, you can skip the step to install a
> >boot loader.  But that's in interactive mode.  I've never done an automated
> >installation, so I don't know what can and cannot be done in that environment.
> >

> Preseed.cfg apparently can do everything except "walk the dog".
> [Well really customized partitioning is annoying. But that is documented.]
> I tend to do multiple installs as I am experimenting with having Debian to
> do things in *MY* idiosyncratic way. I started with using EXPERT mode but
> found repetitive typing annoying. An appropriately edited preseed.cfg allows
> me to automate all options except the particular feature(s) of interest.
>
> My only problem is finding a *SINGLE* references which lists *ALL* the
> choices which can be preseeded.
>
> I find Debian documentation to frequently resemble the early _CPM-80
> Manual_. It's all there but finding it can me daunting.

The template files in the udebs are the definitive source for preseed
options. Some of them interact with each, requiring care and testing in
the writing of a reference guide.

What Felix Miata and Stephen Powell want is

  d-i grub-installer/skip boolean true

and

  d-i lilo-installer/skip boolean true

in a preseed.cfg. It can also be done on the kernel line when booting
the installer; the Manual has details for this.