Re: reasons to ditch LILO before upgrading to jessie?

On Thu 07 Jul 2016 at 12:44:40 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 11:32:42AM +0100, Brian wrote:

> > > :-)  +1!
>
> :-)
>
> > It doesn't need to be penetrable, does it?
>
> De gustibus non est disputandum.
>
> To me, one of the attractions of the whole Free Software thing is its
> "penetrability". I see that there's a force field among many poles,
> functionality and "getting things done NOW" being two very valid ones
> which sometimes are at odds with simplicity. And I readily admit that
> preferences are extremely individual.
>
> > The generated grub.cfg just needs to boot the machine. In any case,
> > it can easily be replaced by a more readable five or six line version
> > if desired.
>
> Things get more complicated when you're in the position of "fixing"
> it :-)

Admittedly, a generated grub.cfg or most of the files in /etc/grub.d
are not something I would recommend for bedtime reading.

> And please, again: the fact that I disagree with some Grub design
> decisions shouldn't detract from the fact that I have utmost
> respect for the Grub developers and packagers. Their hard work,
> their decisions.

Giovanni Gigante seems happy enough with LiLo and there appears to be
no definite indication that it would fail to boot an upgraded machine.
He could consider leaving it in place, reading the bug reports and
having a plan to install GRUB should something go wrong afterwards.