Re: reasons to ditch LILO before upgrading to jessie?

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I finally switched to Jessie (but still using SysV Init) a few months
> ago. This box and its predecessors have uses lilo (and SysV Init)
> since Bo was a pup. I have yet to see any real reason to switch from
> lilo to grub. I have never had a problem with lilo and I like having a
> config that I can directly control and understand.

Grub's configuration is pretty simple; /etc/default/grub is pretty
straight forward, and the resultant configuration is also pretty easy to
understand as well.

Grub also has a lot more features than lilo has, including the ability
to boot from cd images (useful for updating bios), proper serial
support, the ability to boot any kernel even if it isn't listed in the
config, the ability to handle raid5 and raid6 filesystems, lvm, support
for UEFI, encrypted /boot, network booting, fallback support, etc.

There's a reason why no one is interested in maintaining lilo anymore.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

He no longer wished to be dead. At the same time, it cannot be said
that he was glad to be alive. But at least he did not resent it. He
was alive, and the stubbornness of this fact had little by little
begun to fascinate him -- as if he had managed to outlive himself, as
if he were somehow living a posthumous life.
 -- Paul Auster _City of Glass_