Re: reasons to ditch LILO before upgrading to jessie?

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016, Giovanni Gigante wrote:
> I am preparing my system for the upgrade from wheezy to jessie.
> Since ancient ages, this system has been using LILO as the bootloader,
> because, long ago, it was the only bootloader that was recommended for my
> setup: this machine has two SATA disks in a software RAID 1 & LVM; that is,
> in /etc/lilo.conf I have:
>
> boot=/dev/md0
> root=/dev/mapper/vg00-rootlv
> raid-extra-boot = mbr
>
> My doubt is that I have read that LILO, besides being very old, is now
> unmantained. However, I see that the jessie installation manual still
> mentions it, so it does not seem deprecated yet. So the question is:
> is there any serious reason to switch the system to GRUB before
> upgrading, or can I just keep my current setup and proceed to jessie?

There's always the possibility that you'll discover a new bug with lilo
and newer kernels which no one else has seen, but that's probably fairly
unlikely.

In my experience, grub now works way more reliably than lilo ever did,
and it's worth switching. [I switched over *years* ago for precisely
this reason.] But your experience may vary.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

6: If we are one, then we can defeat 2.
  -- "The Prisoner (2009 Miniseries)" _Schizoid_